Monday, August 8, 2011

A Quick Complaint

I know, I know three posts in one day is far TOO MANY, but I have a quick complaint.
This complaint is on Chictopia. I am really starting to hate this site. It is always very obvious to see what girls are going to make it into their style gallery. I can always go through the pages of recently uploaded photos and pick out exactly what girls are going to make it and which ones aren't. There's never any variation, and I think that stinks!
Yes, there is the very occasional girl who isn't the typical "Chictopian", like Maria, but that girl is seldom seen. I am not complaining about this because I am never one of their top picks, as I don't even post on there very often, so don't think of this as some pity party. I am just expressing my opinion on the matter.

What's your opinion on this? Do you see this trend of girls and bloggers that are always chosen to be on the website's main page and that are always the "Editor's Pick"? Do you understand what I'm saying, or am I making no sense? Let me know how you feel about this!

-Meganne

4 comments:

Yasmeen said...

I have an account but I rarely use it. All the top outfits look the same...Isabel Marants and Jeffrey Campbells. I understand the feeling :/

Hannah | The Outfit Repeater said...

I do know exactly what you're talking about! I've seen it on a few different fashion-y websites I've been on lately. Chictopia, Lookbook, TeenVogue. They all have this mold that they fit in to. I really don't understand why sites that are dedicated to letting users of all shapes, sizes, and styles, still continue to only showcase one type of user! Most of the time I skip over the "front page" or "top picks" because they're so predictable. I go straight for the real users who have their own point of view and aren't trying to be a cookie cutter model.

There are other sites that seem to recognize this issue and it's refreshing.
Maybe one day Chictopia & the other sites will figure it out and start expanding their style tastes!

Rosy said...

thank-you for your comment and following :) i'm not actually on chictopia but is it any good? i've been thinking about trying it! x

Maria Elyse said...

I get EXACTLY what you mean, Meganne. I've been on the front page about three times as the big photo feature, and a few other times as the smaller supporting photos. But still, everything on there as far as the style gallery goes is usually pretty predictable. Most of the girls who make it on there and get votes and are popular are the ones who fit the right mold. I'm not saying that it's bad to be successful in that way, but it's the mindset of the fashion industry, not the people that are patronized by it. I just wish people weren't so narrow-minded. Beauty and style comes in all different colors, shapes, sizes, and styles. People who restrict their minds only to those who fit the mold miss out on so much...it's like they put themselves in a fashion box, where in reality there's so much more going on outside of their dark box and they don't even realize it.

Anyway, yes, people have their opinions, but I just wish narrow-mindedness didn't exist in anything, but fashion especially.

xo
Maria Elyse
First Impressions
Flying Ships Vintage